Sunday, February 14, 2010

Darryl's Birth

Oh my goodness! This week has been a whirl wind! I have a lot to post so get ready for what could be my longest post to date... alrighty here goes!!

The delivery of our son was absolutely incredible. God blessed us so much... I wouldn't have wanted anything different (well...I maybe wouldn't have minded to not be stabbed FOUR times to get an IV in...but I really can't complain if that was one of the most painful parts!)
Here are some highlights...

I had been wondering if I was having contractions the entire weekend before he was born. I really wanted him to come before his due date because I had decided to go ahead and take off work. My mom came in town Saturday and so we were able to run some errands (of course, we had decided to wait and do a bunch on Monday...we never got around to those :) Sunday night, Chris went to work and my mom, Aunt Kim, and I were sitting around the house kind of watching the Super Bowl when I could tell that my stomach felt weird. I said something to them and started writing down how often it happend. I kind of tried to ignore it, because I was afraid I was just getting my hopes up that he was coming and so I was somehow making it up. We hung out for a few more hours and the feeling didn't go away. Finally at 9:30 p.m., I could tell that something was DEFINATELY going on so I called Chris and he came home from work. We kept writing them down but I still wasn't convinced that I was really going into labor. Finally, Chris convinced me that we really should go to the hospital because he said I usually underestimate my pain tolerance (I thought contractions would be excruciating pain so I kept convincing myself that they didn't hurt enough!) So.... I did what any girl would do... I shaved my legs and put on some comfy clothes :) we headed to the hospital and went to the 5th floor (birth triage) and I was scared to death that we were going to get sent home and that I would be really disappointed. When the nurse finally came in and checked me, she said that I was dialated to a 5 and that she could feel his head! It was time to go to the 6th floor!!

They wheeled me up and we called our families. They said that since I was so far along that I could get my epideral anytime (to which I said...yes please!!) After getting beat up and stabbed several times by my IV, they got the epideral in and things were great from then on! We had a bunch of friends come up and hang out with us in the delivery room, as well as my mom, Aunt Kim, and David. We had a great time laughing and talking about how excited we were that Darryl was finally going to be here.

Some funny memories include "Chip" who was the name that we gave to the student nurse that followed our nurse Madelyn around during the delivery. She walked in at 7 am (after I had been in labor for 10 hours) and exclaimed "OH MY GOSH, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY TO HAVE A BABY!! ARNT YOU SO EXCITED YOU ARE HAVING A BABY!!!" lets just say she was really cheery. I found out later that she had never seen a baby be born before, and that at one point in the middle of it she burst into tears and ran out of the room. Our friends and family were out in the waiting room when she ran out, tears streaming down her face. She stopped and said.... its just so BEAUTIFUL!" and ran of crying. We later found out that she could have gotten in a lot of trouble for doing that :). Ahh so many fond memories of Chip..

Well...after 12 hours of labor, lots of jokes, movie quotes, and some games of travel Settlers... a bunch of nurses started coming into the room. This was it! It was time for us to finally meet our son. Chris and I couldn't believe what was happening. Before we knew it, everyone was out of the room, and Chris was standing over me telling me when to push. Chris was absolutely amazing. He was so supportive and loving the entire time. I couldn't have done it without him!

At one point the dr. exclaimed... Oh my gosh look at that HAIR!!! To which Chris replied "On his head or his butt?" lol we had lots of laughs in the delivery room. After an hour of pushing, baby Darryl was in my arms. I couldn't believe it. Chris and I were both bawling as we listened to him cry. He was so perfect. I couldn't believe that God would bless us with such an amazing gift.

Everyone was so excited to meet him, and over the next few days at the hospital he had lots of guests. It was so much fun to watch him and hold him. We are so blessed!!

More to come, his one week birthday is tomorrow!! I'll post some pics and talk about his first week soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment