Monday, January 4, 2010

My Prayer Today...

God isn't so interested in what you do. He is interested in what you are.
Darryl,

Today I prayed that you will love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and that you will live a life of humility.

This past weekend, Dennis spoke about humility and reminded me of some things that I need so badly in my life, and I am praying that you would seek it in yours as well.

I pray that you will not get caught up in selfish competition and that you will live your life to please God, not to impress others (even us, your parents). This is a world that defines "manliness" by how many people you can conquer, and whether or not you are the best at what you do. I pray that your desire wouldn't be to be better then everyone, but to use your abilities and strengths to serve those around you and point them toward Christ. I pray that Chris and I would be parents that would encourage you to live like this and that we would not get caught up in taking pride over your abilities, but that we would be humbled by your love for others.

I pray that you will count others as more significant then yourself and that you will look out for the interests of others. I pray that when pride starts to sneak in, that God will gently and lovingly break you of it (and that we as parents will allow this to happen, even though it will be painful for us as well).

Above all, I pray that you will find true humility in recognizing that without Christ you are nothing, and that when you recieve Him it is not because you earned it, but because of his amazing grace.

I pray that you will one day come to know the Lord as your Savior. I pray that every day He will do whatever it takes to mold you into a man that walks with Him. I love you so much.

Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment